st. john’s newfoundland
school of dance and artist incubation center
Magpie Movement’s mission is to uplift our community of movers and shakers by sharing the joy of creative movement. We empower and inspire students through quality dance education with caring, professional instructors in a supportive and positive atmosphere. We aim to broaden the reach and impact of eclectic dance through active community engagement.
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams; —
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
Excerpt from “Ode” by Arthur O’Shaughnessy (1873)
Our short-term vision is to expand our programs based on our community’s continued interest in dance and creative movement, facilitating growth of the physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing of our students. We aim to instill a belief in the creative process, informed by body awareness, mindfulness, and mutual respect
Our long-term vision is to serve as an artist incubation center, where we can nurture entrepreneurs, small business owners, and amateur artists as they develop their own movement-based practise. We want to own a facility with multiple fully-equipped studio spaces where artists can cultivate their work in a space that they can call their own. Think of Posie Row, or Quidi Vidi Village Plantation, or hair salon suites – but for dance and movement!
- Fostering a culture of warmth and belonging where everyone is welcome.
- It’s important to us that you feel supported to be who you are, just as you are.
- We hold non-judgement and non-competition in our hearts.
- We encourage finding your own artistic voice.
- Championing great people through diversity, inclusion, and allyship.
- We hear the voices of our community.
- We elevate voices who aren’t heard as often.
- We see the good in people.
- We value the wisdom of experiences that differ from our own.
- Acting with courage, challenging the status quo to find new ways to grow.
- We keep learning and pushing boundaries for growth so we can better serve our community.
- We never settle for how things have been done.
- We approach change with an open heart and an open mind.
- Prioritizing accessibility and community relations over profit.
- We are flexible in our policies and allow accommodations for life.
- We offer financial relief, subsidies, and scholarships when possible.
- We seek accessible spaces and offer a mixture of attendance options for comfort.
- Minimizing environmental impact.
- We invest in greener and eco-friendly options.
- We shop and source from local business and minimize shipping.
- We reduce our waste and reuse or repurpose things as often as possible.
- We’re paperless and energy efficient.